This reading list collates a selection of media coverage, stakeholder responses and other material relevant to the draft Online Safety Bill.
The Library will produce a briefing or material for the second reading debate and this page will be updated when it is made available.
The second reading paper may be updated as the Bill goes through Parliament; alternatively additional papers will be added to this page to reflect the Bill’s progress.
- The December 2019 Queen’s Speech
- Queen’s Speech Government briefing Note [providing background on the Bill]
- Serious violence: new legal duty to support multi-agency action [Home Office consultation]
- Serious Violence Strategy [Home Office, April 2018]
- How is the Government implementing a ‘public health approach’ to serious violence? [Commons Library Insight]
Help for Members of Parliament and their staff
In addition to writing and updating published papers as bills go through Parliament, the House of Commons Library can assist Members of Parliament and their staff with individual enquiries about bills, particularly on the policy background.
The Public Bill Office (PBO) supports public bill committees. The staff working in the PBO can advise Members of Parliament on tabling amendments to bills.
A Westminster Hall debate on a tackling knife crime is scheduled to take place on Tuesday 20 July 2021 at 2:30pm. The debate will be opened by Sarah Owen MP.
This Library briefing paper explains the types of coronavirus restrictions and requirements imposed by the UK's lockdown laws.