Documents to download

There are various bodies with responsibility for road maintenance and safety in the UK:

This FAQ briefing covers:

  • Responsibilities: Who is responsible for roads, motorways and traffic signs? What are the powers and responsibilities of local authorities over street lighting, road damage and Clean Air Zones.
  • Road use and maintenance: Can you get compensation for loss of business due to road works? Can councils force utilities to reinstate roads? Can local authorities ban lorries from roads? Is there a cost for parades?
  • Road and vehicle maintenance and safety: What are smart motorways? How is vehicle safety around schools ensured? Where does the money made from speeding fines go? How can e-scooters, off-road motorbikes and quad bikes be used safely?

There are some statutory public bodies that can provide further information:

Please note that nothing in this paper should be considered as constituting legal advice. It is not intended to address the specific circumstances of a particular individual. A suitably qualified professional should be consulted if specific advice or information is required.

You may also be interested in the Road traffic offences and licensing FAQs briefing, which provides answers to various questions about traffic offences and driver licensing.

Documents to download

Related posts

  • Petrol and diesel prices

    Average mid-September prices for petrol and diesel were 134.6 and 136.8 pence per litre respectively. They fell rapidly after the coronavirus outbreak largely due to sharp drops in oil prices. Since the first lockdown prices have increased again and are now above their immediate pre-pandemic levels. The UK had the 10th highest petrol and 2nd highest diesel prices in the EU+UK.

    Petrol and diesel prices