There will be a Westminster Hall debate on GP appointment availability. The debate will be held at 2:30pm on 26 October 2021 and will be led by Joy Morrissey MP.
General debate on body image and mental health
Commons Library reading list for general debate on body image and mental health.
This reading list has been prepared by the House of Commons Library for the General debate on body image and mental health that will take place in the Commons Chamber on 23 July 2019.
- Children and young people’s mental health – policy, CAMHS services, funding and education, July 2019
- Personal, social, health, and economic education in schools (England), July 2019
- Debate pack: Eating Disorders Awareness Week, February 2019
- Suicide Prevention: Policy and Strategy, September 2018
- Mental health statistics for England: prevalence, services and funding, April 2018
Select Committee publications
- House of Commons Science and Technology Committee (2019) Impact of social media and screen-use on young people’s health (HC 822, 2017-19) and Government response
- Education and Health and Social Care Select Committees (2018), The Government’s Green Paper on mental health: failing a generation (HC 642, 2017-19) and Government response.
- British Youth Council, Youth Select Committee, A Body Confident Future (2017) and Government Response, (2018)
- Online Harms White Paper, April 2019
- Department of Health and Social Care, Prevention is better than cure, November 2018.
- Transforming Children and Young People’s Mental Health Provision: Green Paper, 2017 and the Government’s response to the Green Paper consultation, 2018.
- Public Health England, Rise Above for schools, 2017
- Scottish Government, Addressing body image, May 2019
- Welsh Government, Let’s talk about mental health in our schools – Kirsty Williams, May 2019
Recent Parliamentary debate
- Westminster Hall debate on children and mental health services (16 July 2019)
- Lords debate on children and young people’s mental health (16 May 2019)
- Mental Health Foundation, Body image: How we think and feel about our bodies, May 2019
- APPG on Social media and Young people’s Mental Health and Wellbeing, #NewFilters to manage the impact of social media on young people’s mental health and wellbeing, March 2019
- Civil Service Blog, Mental Health Awareness Week 2019 – how body image can affect us, May 2019
- Nuffield Council on Bioethics, Cosmetic procedures: ethical issues, June 2017
- Mentally Healthy Schools, Body Image [accessed 22 July 2019]
- The Children’s Society, Body Image [accessed 22 July 2019]
- Young Minds, Body Image [accessed 22 July 2019]
This briefing outlines the legal and policy background to the Mental Capacity (Amendment) Act 2019 and provides an overview of the main provisions in the new Act.
A summary of statistics on suicide in the UK. Includes trends by gender, age, English region, and deprivation.