The Environment Bill 2019-21 has completed it Committee Stage and had day one (of two) of its Report Stage in the House of Commons. This paper is a summary of what happened in the Committee and day one of Report Stage and how the Bill has changed. It considers key Government and Opposition amendments. Day two of Report Stage is scheduled to take place on 26 May 2021.
The following resources provide useful background:
Data on air quality in London:
- The main Air Quality in England site gives live data and allows you to look at reports by borough and monthly summaries.
- Mayor of London/ London Assembly London Air Quality Map
- Mayor of London/London Assembly Report: Air Quality in London 2016 – 2020
- Environmental Defense Fund, “New data: Air Pollution sources at London Schools”, updated 26 February 2021
- London Councils report: Demystifying Air Pollution in London, published December 2017
Policy and general information:
- Mayor of London/ London Assembly homepage on Pollution and Air Quality
- Mayor of London/ London Assembly, London Environment Strategy, May 2018
- Transport for London homepage on Air Quality
- HM Government, Clean Air Strategy 2019
- Public Health England, Health matters: air pollution, 14 November 2018
Commons Library briefings:
- Commons Library Insight: Coronavirus – Air quality beyond 2020, 20 July 2020
- Commons Library briefing paper, Local Government air quality responsibilities, February 2020
Some recent relevant news items:
Earth Day: Pandemic lockdown brings down air pollution by up to 70% in some London areas – Evening Standard, 22 April 2021
New research to study impact of air pollution on children’s brain development and mental health – Queen Mary University of London press release, 22 April 2021.
The team will examine the impact of London’s Ultra Low Emission Zone on children’s brain development.
Lower UK air pollution limits to prevent deaths, says coroner – Guardian, 21 April 2021
London mayoral election: Sadiq Khan vows to defy ‘vocal minority’ fighting plans to cut traffic in capital – Independent, 21 April 2021
Tackling London’s air pollution will increase life expectancy of children – Imperial College London press release, 25 January 2021, introducing report: London Health Burden of Current Air Pollution and Future Health Benefits of Mayoral Air Quality Policies
‘Dramatic’ plunge in London air pollution since 2016, report finds – Guardian, 3 October 2020
A House of Commons Library Briefing Paper on plastic waste in the UK, including statistics on plastic waste and information on the UK Government and devolved Governments' plans and ambitions to reduce avoidable plastic waste.
This briefing paper provides an overview of the existing legal framework for electric scooters (e-scooters). It also analyses the arguments for and against legalising e-scooters on UK roads, drawing on the limited evidence from other countries and cities that have sanctioned their use.