Short article on planned strike action in schools across the UK, including key dates
On Monday 16 May 2022, there will be a debate in the Commons chamber, linked to the Queen’s Speech. The proposed subject for this debate is “Making Britain the best place to grow up and grow old”.
The following existing House of Commons Library briefing papers provide background for the debate:
- March 2022 schools white paper (England) – relevant to the planned Schools Bill, and proposals to move to a fully academy trust-led system
- School funding in England – information on the National Funding Formula (NFF) for schools and the planned completion of reforms in this area
- Home Education in England – information on the current legislative framework and Government plans to introduce compulsory registers of children not in school
- The Post-18 Education and Funding Review: Government conclusion – relevant to the planned Higher Education Bill
- The white paper on reforming the Mental Health Act – background for the planned Draft Mental Health Act Reform Bill
- Proposed reforms to adult social care (including cap on care costs)
The following notes from the Parliamentary Office of Science and Technology (POST) also provide information on related areas:
- Online safety education (2020)
- Developing essential digital skills (2021)
- AI and healthcare POSTnote (2021)
A briefing paper on the Scottish Secretary's "veto" of the Gender Recognition Reform (Scotland) Bill under section 35 of the Scotland Act 1998
House of Commons Library publications on the rising cost of living in the UK, including causes of inflation, the effect on households, and Government support.