Why can’t a Member resign their seat?

Under a Resolution of the House of 2 March 1623, Members of Parliament cannot directly resign their seats. Deaths, disqualification, elevation to Peerage, dissolution or expulsion are the only causes by which a Member’s seat can be vacated. Therefore, a Member wishing to resign has to be appointed to a paid office of the Crown, which automatically disqualifies the Member from holding a seat in the House of Commons.

There are currently two nominal offices of profit under the Crown:

  • Crown Steward and Bailiff of the three Chiltern Hundreds of Stoke, Desborough and Burnham
  • Crown Steward and Bailiff of the Manor of Northstead

Further information on the current procedure and its historical context can be found in the Commons briefing: Resignation from the House of Commons.

Parliament: facts and figures

This series of publications contains data on various subjects relating to Parliament and Government. Topics include legislation, MPs, select committees, debates, divisions and Parliamentary procedure.


Please send any comments or corrections to the Parliament & Constitution Centre. Suggestions for new lists welcomed.

Related posts