The House of Commons is committed to increasing diversity and providing a positive, inclusive working environment.
We welcome applications from people of any age, disability, faith, ethnicity, race, gender identity, marital status, sex, sexual identity, socio-economic background, or with any caring responsibilities. Find out more in the House of Commons Diversity and Inclusion Strategy.
In the House of Commons we aspire to be:
- Inclusive: We value everyone equally. We respect each other and all have a voice.
- Courageous: We try new things. We own our actions and decisions and learn from our mistakes.
- Trusted: We trust each other to do a good job. We’re impartial and build confidence in Parliament through our integrity.
- Collaborative: We share our knowledge and experience. We work towards a shared vision and know we work better in partnership.
The House of Commons Library is a research and information service based in the UK Parliament. Our impartial analysis, statistical research and resources help MPs and their staff scrutinise legislation, develop policy, and support constituents.
Together with the Parliamentary Office for Science and Technology (POST) and Information Rights and Information Security (IRIS), we are the Research and Information (R&I) department. Our teams include communications professionals, data and information managers, librarians, researchers, scientists, statisticians and more.
In R&I, we recognise that we’re not yet where we want to be with having a diverse workforce that reflects society. So, supporting, developing and promoting diversity and inclusion in everything we do is important. This includes ensuring our research supports work in the House of Commons and represents people across the UK.
Supporting our people
We want R&I to be a great place to work for everyone. We also want people working with us to feel they can be themselves and they are supported to reach their full potential. We’re committed to:
- Supporting professional and career development for everyone
- Safeguarding health and wellbeing
- Providing guidance, training and support to raise awareness and understanding of the benefits and importance of a diverse and inclusive workplace
- Introducing mentoring programmes, including reciprocal mentoring
Recruiting new people
We’re looking for individuals that understand and strive to live our values. Our commitment in return is to build a culture which is inclusive and enables people from a variety of backgrounds and experience to join us. We’re committed to: