How to search
- Visit our search page.
- Use key words to search Commons Library material (e.g. financial regulation).
- Select ‘search filters’ to narrow results by date range and/or publication type.
- Results will appear in order of relevance but you can choose to order by date – click ‘order by date’ above your search results.
- Expand results to view material from all Parliamentary research services – click ‘search all research services’ and the ‘search’ button to re-run your search. This will show you results from the Commons Library, Lords Library and POST.
- The ‘AND’ operator is used by default. For example, if you search ‘financial regulation’ the search will interpret it as ‘financial AND regulation’.
- To exclude search terms, use the ‘NOT’ operator. If you search ‘financial NOT regulation’ the search will exclude ‘regulation’ from your results.
- Complex operators are not supported (e.g. financial OR regulation OR UK).
Narrow results by publication type
Search results display a range of material produced by the Commons Library. You can narrow results by selecting the below publication types in ‘search filters’.
- Research Briefings (1993 – present): In-depth analysis of legislation and topical issues.
- Insights (2013 – present): Quick-read articles on current issues.
- Debate Packs (2015 – present): Background information for House of Commons debates.
- Data dashboards (2018 – present): Data dashboards for Parliamentary, economic and local data.
- Constituency casework articles (2019 – present): FAQs to help with constituent queries.
Other ways to search Commons Library material
Visit our research page to find our latest publications.
You can also browse by topic. Our key topics include:
- Brexit and the EU
- Economy, business and transport
- Home affairs
- Parliament and elections
- Science, environment and technology
- Social policy
- World affairs
View our full topic list to see the full range of topics we cover.
Alternatively, view research by publication type:
- Research Briefings
- Debate Packs
- Data tools and resources
- Constituency casework articles
Access resources, training and events
We would appreciate your feedback
We are working hard to improve our online services based on feedback from people who use them. Let us know:
- did you find what you were looking for?
- did you experience any difficulties and, if so, what were they?
- is there anything that you would like to see improved?
Please send feedback to firstname.lastname@example.org.